- Troubleshooting? Check out our guide here.
In this article
There are a few simple steps to integrate PlayPosit with your Blackboard course.
Below is a quick video overview of how to use PlayPosit within Blackboard:
Why use PlayPosit in Blackboard?
- Single Sign-on: Instructors and learners are never prompted to enter a separate email, username or password to create or view content.
- Auto-sync course data: PlayPosit manages learner-course relationships, eliminating the need to manually create courses or upload rosters.
- Auto-sync grades: Learner grades are synced immediately with the Blackboard Gradebook at the end of a bulb. As well, instructors can access the rich analytics from any PlayPosit link within Blackboard.
- Course copy: Instructors can save time by seamlessly translating PlayPosit links to recurring courses. The new course and learner roster is automatically synced and previous data is cleared.
Set up PlayPosit in Blackboard
PlayPosit is integrated into your Blackboard environment by your administrator. Follow the steps below to add PlayPosit to your course and sync your student roster.
- Login to Blackboard and navigate to the course you would like to connect to PlayPosit.
- Navigate to an existing content area, or create a new content area.
- In the content area, click Build Content or Tools and select PlayPosit Interactive Video from the drop-down.
- Name your first bulb link and click Submit.
- (Optional, but recommended) Set Enable Evaluation to Yes if you want scores to auto-export into the gradebook.
- (Optional, but recommended) Enter the Points Possible.
- (Optional) Set a Due Date.
- In your Content area, click the PlayPosit link you just created to open PlayPosit Setup. Then, click Get Started to open My Bulbs.
Assign a bulb to students
- In Blackboard, navigate to the assignment you would like to link to a PlayPosit bulb and click on it.
- Click Get Started to open My Bulbs.
- Select the Bulb you would like to assign, either by clicking its name, or clicking on the triple dots at the far right of its name.
- Click on the triple dots > Set Bulb Link.
- Select the learner experience and click Set Link:
- Self-Paced - Choose this option if you want students to take the bulb individually, on their own device, at their own time (most commonly used).
- Live Broadcast - Choose this option if you want to project the bulb live, in class and have all students take the bulb together. Start/stop time and pacing of the video is controlled by the instructor, while students answer projected questions from their own device (like a clicker). For more information, please view either this help article (with LMS support) or this help article (without LMS support).
- The nav notification at the top will confirm that the bulb has been assigned to learners.
Monitor student responses
- In Blackboard, click on the assignment for which you want to view data. This will open PlayPosit Setup, which will show the PlayPosit bulbs you have linked to this assignment.
- Click Monitor to view student participation and responses.
For more information on PlayPosit Analytics, please view this help article.
Sync grades to Blackboard Gradebook
If your bulb only includes auto-graded questions (multiple choice, check-all-that-apply, fill-in-the-blank), then grades will be automatically exported into the Blackboard Gradebook. For more information on automated grading, please view this help article.
If you have graded free response questions or edited grades for auto-graded questions, you will need to sync changes with the Blackboard Gradebook. To do this:
- In Blackboard, click on the assignment for which you want to view data and click Monitor.
- On the Question-by-Question Breakdown page, click Sync.
- Click Status to check the status of the student grade export. Note: It may take a few minutes to push all updated scores into the Gradebook.
Course copy with LTI tools like PlayPosit works differently depending on your institution's version of Blackboard. Click here to determine which version of Blackboard you are using.
Blackboard version 3300 or greater
Blackboard version 3300 or greater supports course copy with all PlayPosit links. This means:
- All PlayPosit bulbs and links will transfer to the new course.
- If any students are retaking the course, previous scores will be reset automatically.
Note: Instructors must launch at least one PlayPosit link in the new course to activate bulbs in the new course. Clicking on one link will activate all others.
Blackboard version 3200 and below
Blackboard version 3200 and below does not currently support course copy for LTI tools like PlayPosit. Once an instructor copies a course, all PlayPosit bulbs must be re-linked:
- Navigate to a content page and click on a bulb link.
- Click Get Started. PlayPosit will open and you will see your bulbs library.
- Find the bulb you want to attach to this link. Click on the triple dots > Set Bulb Link.
- The nav notification at the top will confirm the bulb has been assigned to learners in the new course.
Embedding a bulb
PlayPosit/Blackboard LTI integration does not support embedding bulbs using an embed code
If instructors choose to use the embed code:
- Students will be prompted to sign into PlayPosit with a username/password
- Grades will not auto-sync from PlayPosit to Blackboard