What happens when I change a bulb after learners take it?
- Note: PlayPosit recommends that instructors completely finish editing bulbs before they assign them to their learners.
In this article
Important vs. non-important changes
The important changes might create grade discrepancies or affect how learners complete the Bulb, while the non-important changes will not affect learners' grades and have minor impacts on learners' experiences.
- Changing the number of points for interactions
- Adding an interaction that is worth more than zero points
- Deleting an interaction that is worth more than zero points
- Changing the correct answer selection
- Changing the interaction type
- Changing the following Bulb settings:
- Allow learners to retake the Bulb upon completion
- Allow learners to skip interactions
- Do not mark Bulb complete unless learner scores at least ____
- Adding or editing video segments in a bulb
- Changing interaction timing
- Changing interaction text
- Adding or deleting interactions that are worth zero points
- Changing the following Bulb settings:
- Allow learners to rewind after an interaction appears
- Allow viewers to fast forward
- Allow learners to view their printable report
- Allow learners to increase playback speed
- Disable captions for this video
- Hide learner score upon Bulb completion
Any time you make an important change to the bulb, you will see the following alert message in the Review tab of the Designer:
Areas of possible discrepancies
If a bulb's points have changed after learners have started to attempt the bulb, then both the instructor and learner can see discrepancies in scores and other data in the following places:
- Bulb gradebook
- Learner gradebook (non-LTI)
- CSV Exports
- Student printable reports
- Player review sheet
In certain cases, PlayPosit may be able to help instructors who are part of an institutional license to update existing bulb attempts, but it depends on specific change(s) that may have been made. Contact email@example.com with any questions.
Frequently asked questions
My learners answered all the questions correctly, but their scores are less than 100%
PlayPosit scores interactions by calculating the points earned / points available. If you increase the number of points that an interaction is worth after learners have already started answering that interaction, then the learner's points earned for that interaction are frozen at the previous, lower value, but their points earned for the total bulb are still summed up against the new, larger point total. This can cause learners who answer all questions correctly to receive a score lower than 100%.
My learners answered at least one interaction incorrectly, but their scores are more than 100%
PlayPosit scored interactions by calculating the points earned / points available. If you decrease the number of points that an interaction is worth after learners have already started answering that interaction, then the learner's points earned for that interaction are frozen at the previous, higher value, but their points earned for the total bulb are still summed up against the new, lower point total. This can cause learners who answer all questions correctly to receive a score higher than 100%.
My learners finished the bulb and it wasn't worth any points, but their scores are exporting to my LMS gradebook as 0%
If you modified your bulb after learners started taking it so that interactions which were previously worth points are now worth no points, then it's likely that your learners have taken an old version of your bulb that was still worth points, but they themselves did not earn any. When a bulb is worth zero points, PlayPosit will send your LMS gradebook a score of 100% to indicate that the assignment was completed. However, when a bulb is worth points, then PlayPosit will send your LMS gradebook a percentage score that is calculated as points earned / points available. In this particular case, your learners's bulb attempts are being scored as zero points earned / non-zero points available, or 0%.