How to Create a Playlist
- This feature is only available for select institutional clients. If interested in this feature, reach out to the Account Manager or email@example.com.
In this article
PlayPosit Playlists are a collection of bulbs that allow individual instructors and organizations to host standalone interactive courses, build subsections of courses, deliver training, and more. Playlists are customizable and allow the creator to organize them via modules and locked progression. Additional enhancements include supplemental materials and digital credentials, including verifiable certificates and badges.
Learn how to create a Playlist of bulbs using this help article.
- Best Practices
- Playlists overview
- Best practices for setting up PlayPosit Playlists
- Create a Playlist
- Add other
- Set minimum Bulb completion score
- Add a collaborator to a Playlist
- Remove a collaborator from a Playlist
- Assign a Playlist for non-LMS users
- Assign a Playlist in an LMS
- Copy a Playlist
- Monitor a Playlist
- Monitor a Playlist that has been assigned through an LMS
- Monitor a Playlist that has been assigned through PlayPosit
This section outlines important terminology and definitions of the items that will be referenced throughout the help article. Playlists are customizable and allow for several optional features.
- Bulb - PlayPosit’s term for an interactive video learning object.
- Playlist - An ordered list of bulbs and resources. Playlists can be locked progression (meaning that viewers must watch each bulb in order to “unlock” the next one) or open progression.
- Resource - a file that can be uploaded to a Playlist. Resources can include PDFs, Documents (.doc, .docx), and most image files (such as jpeg, png, bmp, gif, svg, tiff, wmf), with a maximum file size of 25 MB.
- Module - an organizational unit within a Playlist that can contain resources and/or bulbs.
- Certificate - A digital document attesting to the learner’s completion of all modules within a Playlist. Certificates are verifiable via a custom link and contain several customizable elements that are controlled by the instructor. Please refer to the section on certificates for more information.
- Toast message - a message that shows up in a box on screen, usually in the upper-right hand corner, with important information or alerts about the user’s current activity.
This section highlights best practices and recommendations to ensure the easiest and most seamless workflow when using the PlayPosit Playlist application.
- First, build the bulbs that will be used in the Playlist for a quicker and smoother Playlist building process. By doing so, it will not be necessary to exit the Playlist dashboard until it is time to assign the Playlist.
- Determine whether progression through the Playlist should be locked or open. This may impact the order in which interactive video learning objects should be made available to learners and whether supplemental resources should be included.
- Decide whether certificates of completion will be made available to individuals completing the Playlist as they offer several customization options that will need to be uploaded by the instructor.
All Playlists owned or facilitated by a user appear in the Playlists tab in the menu sidebar. Access the Playlists action menu by clicking the triple dots icon to the far right under actions.
The action menu has the following actions:
- Edit - Opens the Playlist Designer in a new tab.
- Preview - Opens a learner preview of a Playlist in a new tab.
- Monitor - Opens a menu to select a class for which an instructor can monitor the Playlist's gradebook in a new tab.
- Assign - Opens a menu to assign a Playlist to a class and provides the Playlist assignment link.
- Delete - Deletes a Playlist.
PlayPosit signifies the different roles associated with a Playlist using the following icons and permissions:
(No icon shown)
Best practices for setting up PlayPosit Playlists
- For more information on how to create a class click here.
- For more information on how to build a bulb click here.
- For more information on how to assign a bulb to the class click here.
Create a Playlist
Follow the instructions below to create and manage a Playlist of bulbs.
- Click on the Playlists tab of the dashboard.
- Click Add New Playlist.
- Title the Playlist.
- Click Add Module and title the module by clicking the text of the default module title.
- Under the new module, click Add Bulbs to open up a slide-out view of My Bulbs.
- Click the arrow icon next to the bulb name to “queue” that bulb to be added to the module. Repeat as many times as necessary for each bulb that should be added.
- Click Add Bulbs at the top right corner of the slide-out view. The slide-out will close, and a toast message will appear in the top right corner of the Playlist designer once the bulbs have been added to the Playlist.
- Arrange the bulbs and resources of the Playlist in desired order.
- Reorder bulbs by dragging and dropping. Bulbs can be reordered within the same module or moved to an entirely different module.
- Delete a bulb by hovering over the bulb name and then selecting the trash icon to the right. This will remove the bulb from the Playlist but will not delete the bulb from the user’s library.
- Add resources to a module by selecting Add Resource. Resources can include PDFs, Documents (.doc, .docx), and most image files (such as jpeg, png, bmp, gif, svg, tiff, wmf), with a maximum file size of 25 MB.
- Delete a module by first removing all bulbs and resources from the module. Then, hover over the module name and select the trash icon next to the module name. It is not possible to delete a module while it contains bulbs or resources.
- Choose the Course Settings
- Lock progression - learners will not be able to advance to the next bulb without completing the previous bulb.
- Request paywall - selecting this option will notify PlayPosit the user wants to add a payment functionality. The process is not automatic and will require 1-2 business days to complete. Please note that clicking this button will result in PlayPosit's Finance Department contacting you to request more information.
- An instructor can click the Save and Exit button in the Playlist Designer or Playlist preview at anytime. For non-institutional users and institutional users who do not have Playlists enabled, the screen will return to the My Bulbs Library. For institutional users with Playlists enabled, the screen will return to the Playlists tab.
- To assign the Playlist outside of an LMS, click here. To assign the Playlist in an LMS, click here.
Note: When the slideout menu appears, users will be temporarily unable to select the Bulbs that are already in the Playlist.
If the Save and Exit button is clicked within an LMS, a screen will appear with instructors to return to your LMS tab.
- Under the module, click Add Other to open a slideout view that allows for non-Bulb resources to be added to the Playlist.
From the slideout view, users may choose to Add Attachment or Add Web Embed.
- Add Attachment allows users to add a PDF, Word Doc, CSV, or an image. Once a file has been selected, it will be automatically added in the Playlist Table of Contents.
Add Web Embed allows users to add a website URL by inserting a link and clicking Add Link. The website will appear in the Table of Contents.
Note: Some website permissions do not allow for them to be embedded within PlayPosit. If a user enters a url that will not work within PlayPosit, a broken link image will appear. However, some websites may only block a preview from appearing but will still appear in the table of contents and function as intended.
Set minimum Bulb completion score
Designate a minimum required score that learners must achieve for a Bulb to be marked as complete. To learn more about setting a minimum Bulb completion score, click here.
Note: If locked progression is enabled, learners will not be able to move on to the next Bulb until the minimum score is reached. If locked progression is not enabled, the learner can move on to the next Bulb, however, the Playlist will not be marked complete until the minimum score is reached for the Bulb.
1. Add a Bulb that has a minimum score enabled to the Playlist.
2. The minimum score will appear next to the Bulb. Select the settings gear.
- Minimum completion score - Adjust the minimum completion score.
- Clear Minimum Completion Score - Remove the minimum completion score. This will only clear the minimum completion score on the Bulb within the Playlist.
- Remove Bulb From Playlist - Remove the Bulb from the Playlist.
Add a collaborator to a Playlist
- To add a collaborator to a Playlist, click the Playlists tab and select the Playlist thumbnail or triple dot menu of the Playlist. Click Collaborate.
Enter the email address of the collaborator, choose the role, and click Add Access. Note: Only instructors that are from the same institution are allowed to be collaborators.
- Can Edit - This permission allows the instructor to make edits to the original Playlist such as adding/removing bulbs, adding/removing attachments, editing the title, changing the order, or customizing the color.
- Can View/Assign - This permission does not allow the instructor to make any edits to the Playlist. They can only preview the Playlist and assign it.
Once added, the collaborator will see the Playlist appear in the Playlists tab. An eye or pencil icon will appear next to the Playlist, indicating what permissions have been granted.
- A pencil icon indicates the collaborator can edit the Playlist.
- An eye icon indicates the collaborator can view and assign the Playlist.
Remove a collaborator from a Playlist
To remove a collaborator from a Playlist:
- Choose the Playlist thumbnail or triple dot menu to the right of the Playlist and select Collaborate.
- Next to the collaborator's information, select Remove Access.
To remove yourself as a collaborator:
Choose the P laylist thumbnail or triple dot menu to the right of the Playlist and select Remove Access.
Playlists will reload and the Playlist will no longer appear.
Assign a Playlist for non-LMS users
Note: This workflow is for instructors who are not using a learning management system. The Assign Now button will not be displayed when launched from an LMS. To assign a Playlist in an LMS, follow these directions.
- Once the Playlist is finalized, click the Assign Now button to open the Playlists tab.
- In the Playlists tab, find the appropriate Playlist by name and click the triple dot menu to the right.
- Click Assign.
- Click the Unassigned - Select Date box.
- Select the Playlist due date and click OK.
- Click Link.
- Click Advanced settings to display toggles for various URL types to assign to different audiences.
- Show Embed Code - This will show the HTML code that can be used to embed the Playlist on another site.
- Learners - This option requires viewers to log in to a PlayPosit learner account. Data will be saved.
- Instructors - This option requires viewers to log in to a PlayPosit instructor account. Use this option when assigning Playlists for professional learning. Data will be saved.
- Public -This option will not require log in. Data will be saved.
- Do not require learner name - learners will not have to enter their first and last name.
- Copy the Playlist assignment URL or embed code and provide it to learners or instructors.
- Navigate to the Classes tab
- Select the class
- Click Manage Playlist. This will open a dropdown menu listing all the Playlists assigned to the class.
- To open a selected Playlist in the designer, click on the chosen Playlist. This allows the instructor to preview, edit, or monitor the Playlist.
After a Playlist has been assigned to a class, view it from the class by following these steps:
Assign a Playlist in an LMS
Click here for information on how to link a Playlist in an LMS.
- From the Playlists tab, click the Playlist icon or triple dot menu of the Playlist to make a copy of and select Share a copy.
- Copy the share URL and share it with another instructor.
Copy a Playlist
This section discusses how to copy a Playlist from another instructor and then assign the copy to learners.
Note: This link is not for learner use. Share this link to allow other instructors to copy this Playlist. This will not copy bulbs into their account, but will create a new Playlist and copy all settings from the original Playlist, including paywall (if enabled).
The instructor who is copying the Playlist must be signed in to their PlayPosit instructor account. Once they are signed in, click Copy Playlist to make a copy.
Instructors who have copied the Playlist will now see the Playlist in the Playlists tab with an eye icon indicating the instructor is a facilitator of the Playlist. This permission will only allow the instructor to change the title, customize the color, and assign the Playlist.
Instructors who are not part of an institutional license will not have access to copy a Playlist and will see an error screen.
Monitor a Playlist
Monitor a Playlist that has been assigned through an LMS:
After a learner completes a PlayPosit Playlist that has been linked in their LMS, PlayPosit will automatically send a grade to the LMS gradebook that represents the sum of the points earned on all the bulbs at that point divided by the sum of all the points possible in those same bulbs.
1. To view learner analytics, launch the assigned Playlist from the LMS and click Monitor. Click here for more information on monitoring bulbs.
2. The learner’s score on the Playlist will be shown in the Playlist gradebook only if the learner has completed all bulbs in the Playlist. Their score will show as “-%” if they have not completed all bulbs in the Playlist.
If bulbs in the Playlist require manual grading, the Playlist grades will need to be manually synced to the LMS gradebook. Once finished with manual grading, click Sync Grades from the Playlist gradebook.
- Select Playlists from the sidebar menu.
- Choose the Playlist to monitor. Under Actions, click the triple dot menu and select Monitor.
- Select the class the Playlist is assigned to and click Monitor.
- Click Classes from the sidebar menu.
- Select the class to which the Playlist is assigned and click Manage Playlist.
- In the Playlist designer, select Monitor.
- Launch the assigned Playlist from the LMS and click Preview.
- Toggle from Edit Mode to Preview Mode. The designer will transition into a preview of the Playlist. In this mode, all bulbs are in preview mode and no data will be saved.
- In Preview mode, select the triple line menu to view the Table of Contents.
- If enabled, user can preview the certificate.
- To return to the Playlist Designer, disable Preview Mode.
- Click Advanced settings in the assignment link tab and toggle on Share for professional learning to create a PD link instead of a normal learner link.
- Copy the URL and provide it to learners.
Note: If a Facilitator accesses the class with which the Playlist is associated, they can still share a link for professional development. However, they cannot alter any class setting toggles as they are not the owner of the class.
- Click the Advanced tab and toggle on Show embed code.
- Copy the embed code and paste it into an HTML page. Note: Follow the steps that are appropriate for your website host for embedding.
- In the Playlist designer, toggle on Enable printable certificate. The certificate will also generate a custom URL for verification purposes.
- To customize the Playlist certificate, upload a custom badge and/or signature by clicking the upload links on the right.
- To add a fine print message to the certificate, type in the message into this box.
- Click the checkmark to the right of the text input field to save the message.
- To preview the certificate, click Preview certificate.
- A new tab will open with a preview of the certificate.
Note: The instructor can manually sync grades for an incomplete Playlist attempt by clicking Sync Grades. The score exported will be a percentage representing the sum of the points earned on all the bulbs divided by the sum of all the points possible in those same bulbs.
For example, if a Playlist has two bulbs, with each bulb containing a single interaction worth 1 point, and the learner completes only one of the two bulbs, while earning 1 point on that completed bulb, when the instructor clicks Sync Grades, the learner will receive a 50% score on the Playlist.
A toast message will display on the top right corner confirming the sync has occurred.
To monitor a Playlist from PlayPosit:
Click here for more information on monitoring bulbs.
From the Playlists page:
Note: This is the recommended workflow.
The learner’s score on the Playlist will be shown in the Playlist gradebook only if the learner has completed all bulbs in the Playlist. The learner’s score will show as “-%” if they have not completed all bulbs in the Playlist.
Note: To monitor the Playlist in the same order it appears in the Playlist, from the gradebook page, click the drop down menu and click the name of the Playlist. Otherwise, the bulbs may appear out the expected order.
From the Classes page:
Note: The Monitor button will only appear if the Playlist has been assigned to at least one class. Clicking it will show a dropdown menu containing the names of all the sections to which this Playlist has been assigned.
The learner’s score on the Playlist will be shown in the Playlist gradebook only if the learner has completed all bulbs in the Playlist. Their score will show as “-%” if they have not completed all bulbs in the Playlist.
Note: To monitor the Playlist in the same order it appears in the Playlist, from the gradebook page, click the drop down menu and click the name of the Playlist. Otherwise, bulbs may not appear in the expected order.
Previewing a Playlist
To preview a Playlist that has been assigned through an LMS:
To preview a Playlist from the Playlist designer:
Generate a URL to share for professional development
Generate an embed code for HTML pages
Learner Certificates of Completion can be made available upon the completion of each bulb in a Playlist by following the steps below:
Note: The Print certificate button will remain inactive until the Playlist has been completed in its entirety by the learner. After completion, the button will turn blue, making it accessible to the learner.
Before completion of Playlist:
After completion of Playlist:
To print the certification click the Print Certificate button and then click the print button in the browser.
Completing a Playlist as a learner
Click here for information on completing a Playlist as a learner.